Certain names get stuck in my head for any number of reasons.
Maybe I am amazed that I don’t hear the name more often. Or maybe I hear the name often, but I’m amazed that the name isn’t that popular (yet). These names get filed away and sometimes get featured on the UBN blog.
Here are some of the most popular Spotlight Names:
- Emma: The Comeback Queen
- Mary: The Ultimate Name
Here are some other Spotlight Names under special categories.
Failure to Launch Names
Names that never became as popular as they could have for any given decade. They fit the name styles of their time but never (or barely) made the top 100. Failure to Launch Names on UBN:
- Failure to Launch: Mindy in the 1970s
- Failure to Launch: Farrah in the 1980s
- Failure to Launch Names: Juniper in the 1970s
- Failure to Launch Names: Wallis in the 1930’s
- Failure to Launch Names: Hillary in the 1990s
- Failure to Launch Names: Mack in the Early 2000s
- Failure to Launch Names: Bettina in the 1960s
- Failure to Launch Names: Lara in the 1970s
The real names of UBN readers’ (and my own) great-grandparents. If you would like to submit the story behind your great-grandparent’s name, you can contact me from my contact page. Maybe your guest post could appear on UBN along with these other terrific great-grandparent stories:
- Great-grandmother Names: Ocie
- Great-grandfather Names: Raymond
- Spotlight on Great Grandmother Names: Helen
- SPOTLIGHT ON GREAT GRANDMOTHER NAMES: Lottie
Unexpectedly Familiar Names
Almost everyone has heard of these names but hardly anyone has these names or considers them for babies. Unexpectedly Familiar Names on UBN:
Unfairly Dated Names
Hit names from past decades that have a lot in common with modern hit names and might make sense on more modern babies. Unfairly Dated Names on UBN:
- Unfairly Dated Names: Heather
- Unfairly Dated Names: Gregory
- Unfairly Dated Names: Peter
- Unfairly Dated Names: April
- Unfairly Dated Names: Cynthia
- Unfairly Dated Names: Amy
- Unfairly Dated Names: Douglas
- Unfairly Dated Names: Beverly
- UPDATE: Guess the First Unfairly Dated Name
- NAME GAME CHALLENGE: Guess the First “Unfairly Dated” Name
Watch List Names
The UBN Watch List Report is a list of names I’m watching. These are usually names that I feel could become more popular or *should* become more popular. Any name that is different but not too different and has potential to be ahead of the curve gets added to the report.
New names are added to this report every year. Each year, after the newest US popular baby name data becomes available in May, the newest Watch List Names are revealed to UBN email followers.
When a name gets added to the Watch List, I start tracking the name’s birth numbers each year as part of the report. The Watch List Report includes names from the present year and past years.
Not every name on the Watch List Report gets featured on the UBN blog. But a few get mentioned:
- Watch List Names Update & The Newest Watch List
- Name To Watch: Wilhelmina
- Name To Watch: Katniss
- Could Anne Be A Name To Watch?
- Name To Watch: Blythe
- Name to Watch: Clover
To get the latest Watch List Report and get on the list to receive the next Watch List report, become an UBN email follower by submitting your email below.
Email followers also get updates from UBN and some stuff I don’t share on the blog.
To never miss an UBN update submit your email below.